Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh Honey, The Corn is Beautiful

There are two things men like to be complimented on: one is obvious and if I have to spell it out you should not be reading this blog, and the other is their crops.

My husband loves to hear that his crops are good, that he has done an excellent job of planting the seeds at the right depth, that he has properly applied the noxious chemicals to keep the bugs and weeds away, and that he has prayed successfully for rain. We are reaping the benefits of all the church going we have been doing this year! The corn is tall, very tall. So tall that if two pigs were to detour into it on their nightly walk it would be a hell of a good chase.


My view


Their view

Our pigs may not behave very well at the upcoming fair but if they have a vocabulary test as part of the proceedings they are sure to take first place. And I'm not talking about Mrs. A "Piece of Candy" worthy words, I'm talking about down-low and dirty words, like ones you would yell at two pigs as you are chasing them though a field of corn and praying that you don't lose them. Or worse yet, that they don't topple over from heat exhaustion and over-exertion and die before someone can bid on them at the fair.

They had a very clear advantage and were not being slapped in the face as they were running.

In hindsight I guess it was good practice for the upcoming race I'm entering. The bin is always half-full around these parts.

8 comments:

Mary Stoinski said...

That reminds me...I need to register...thanks for the reminder!

meredith said...

Tell Vinnie that I said the corn does look good (I won't bother compilmenting him on anything else!) And if the choice of "down right ugly words" were the best word choice for the situation (which I'm sure they were) then they are "candy-worthy".

Erin the Librarian said...

the fair is only a week away, just keep counting...

Anonymous said...

Pigs are mean. That's why they're so tasty.

Carol said...

I just realized in 14 years I have never complimented my husband's...corn.

Lisa Greenfelder said...

It's not easy to get a piece of candy from Mrs. A, those must be some *&!#@ fine words.

Mechelle said...

Well you better haul that entire container of candy over here because they were some very situation appropriate words and many of them!

And you should always tell your husband how good his corn looks, they thrive on that kind of stuff and I'll do whatever it takes to stay out of divorce court.

Less than a week until bacon time, anyone want to bid on some well-exercised pigs?

Mary Stoinski said...

I wouldn't know the first thing about bidding on a pig. But - I'll certainly take a side of bacon if you'll have it to spare.