Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Trying To Save a Buck or Two


My attempt to save myself more than a few bucks today really backfired. After morning Mass at the children's school I figured I would shop locally this week for groceries (really bananas, all we ever really need is bananas) and save money on gas and the extra $50 worth of stuff that is "on sale" but that we don't need. My trip was ever so successful and the milk percentage that we drink, or close enough anyway because really 1% isn't gonna kill us in a week, was even on sale.

Unfortunately it all came crashing down and my tidy savings went out the window when I open the passenger door of the van to put my slight purchases on the seat and my ergonomically correct mug smashed onto the cement parking lot. Most people would shrug off such a loss but those of us that are sensory challenged have a difficult time parting with items that make us feel "normal" and on days when my pants fit funny I could at least use this mug because as Goldilocks would say, "It was just right!"

I should have spent the extra money on gas and driven to Meijer because then I would have purchased enough stuff to justify opening the hatch and the mug never would have fallen out. Now I have to go back to the Flint Farmer's Market and hope that there is another mug in my size.

8 comments:

Erin the Librarian said...

Suck! And that is why Meijer is better...

meredith said...

Nooooo - not the mug! It seems that life can be cruel at times. Maybe Vinnie can duct tape it? What about gluing, which is what my husband (seriously!) would tell me to do. Or he would say it was my fault for putting where it would fall out - he's not big on sympathy when I do something stupid. (not that you did). Hope you find one - maybe someday I will get to go too.

Anonymous said...

FAIL! That is terrible. I weep for you.

Lisa Greenfelder said...

Tragic. I wish life had a control z button. (on my Mac that is the undo command). I frequently mentally discharge it for tragic acts. This totally qualifies. Sympathies.

Mary Stoinski said...

When I scrolled down it was like life slowed down to super slow-moe because I new right away, that the photo portrayed the shattered evidence of a your most prized possession. My mouth is still gaping.

If you can't alone deal with the grief I'm sure you are enduring at this very moment, Phillip brought home a nice Pinot Noir if you want to come over and numb the pain away "grape-style". :)

Mechelle said...

Thank you so much for feeling my pain. I would glue it but I don't think it would be the same. I am just going to have to sacrifice some of Vinnie's hard earned money and hope there is another one that will work for me.

Mary the wine invite sounds lovely but my dear bed is calling my name. Maybe when I purchase the new mug I can baptize it with spirits first :)

Oh, and there is no doubt that Meijer is better, it was just confirmed today.

If life had a control Z button how far back should you go?

Lisa Greenfelder said...

I could totally tell you how far back I would go.... but to each women her own.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry about your mug!!!