Thursday, March 3, 2011

Amy's Bread

I love to read cookbooks and sometimes I even take the time to make something out of one of them. Last week I grabbed a copy of Amy's Bread off my library's shelf and was immediately smitten by the beautiful breads showcased of the cover.

This is a book for bread making beginners as well as those more experienced bakers. She begins by recalling her struggle and journey to opening Amy's Bread. That was enough to keep me entertained but it was the photos of her breads and and shop that kept me hooked. If I ever get to New York City her bakery (at least one of them and maybe all three) is on my list of places to visit!

It was the weekend and the kids were around so I opted to try out her pizza recipe. I've got other pizza dough recipes that I use in a rotating manner depending on my mood but I'm always willing to take a chance on a new one. I was worried the amount of ingredients wouldn't produce enough dough but I ended up with four cute little dough balls that rested lightly dusted in flour as I prepped my pan and toppings.

Here is one dough ball waiting to be turned into crust.




















This dough is intended to produce a thin crust pizza that is crispy and not over loaded with toppings.





















I was too lazy to run up town and get the toppings I really wanted (fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves) so I went with just cheese. The edges were drizzled with olive oil that made for a crisp and tasty crust.

The kids claimed it was better than Arthur's Pizzeria which made me laugh because living in this little town doesn't give them much to compare it to. Next time I'm going to have my favorite ingredients on hand and maybe make a double batch because there were no leftovers and what is the point of pizza if you can't fight over the leftovers?

No comments: