Thursday, April 8, 2010

Marathon status


The New York Road Runners kindly informed me today that I was not accepted into the 2010 NYC Marathon:

"Dear Mechelle Kuchar,

We’re sorry, but you were not selected in the ING New York City Marathon 2010 lottery. We appreciate your commitment to running with NYRR, but we must limit the size of the field to make this race safe and enjoyable for participants."



My sister, on the other hand, got an invitation to join them! We had hoped that we would both get in so that we could run together in my come back marathon and her post-second baby marathon. Alas, she will have to enjoy the crowds without me. I'm now contemplating if I want to attempt a fall marathon and which one. If I had gotten into New York it would have been a done-deal because they charge you your entry fee ($185) just after you are accepted whether you plan to run or not.

Instead, I now have the option to select a different race with the benefits of less distance to travel, cheaper entry fees, and smaller crowds. At first I was aiming for Detroit, Grand Rapids or even Columbus but now I see that Ryan Hall will be running the Chicago Marathon on 10-10-10 and perhaps there is a chance that my tech shirt could rub against his tech shirt. (At the expo of course and not on the actual race course because he will probably finish before I hit the halfway mark.) And that would be an exhilarating experience. I guess I'll be waiting for another sign, maybe in the form of a personal invitation from Ryan to join him in the Windy City.

No comments: