Friday, April 6, 2007

Conquering Easter Eggs

Ah, it is that lovely time of year when I venture to the store to buy white eggs (the kids don't like the result of coloring our home-hatched brown and green eggs) so the kids can bicker and cry with Dudley. It truly is nerve racking and this year I thought I would make it go a little easier by having a bit of wine with our egg decorating, but darn it, I had a doctor's appointment scheduled later in the day and didn't want to make a bad impression. Of course I could have put the event off until later in the day, but after the 99th time of "Are the eggs cool enough yet?" I rolled up my sleeves and dug in.

For those of you who tend to skip the directions on these boxes of hell, please note that:

THIS KIT IS INTENDED FOR COLORING EASTER EGGS, AN ACTIVITY FOR WHICH ATTENTIVE PARENTAL SUPERVISION IS RECOMMENDED.

Oh, so now it is not good enough to be a parent who is simply supervising, I must now be A-T-T-E-N-T-I-V-E. Let me tell you how I glad I was that I skipped on that wine before starting-can't have mommy passed out in the egg dye just passively supervising.

Somehow we managed to color all 30 eggs with 3 different "kits" and no major fallout. (I won't go into detail about the 3 eggs that cracked because I said no MAJOR fallout) The kids even decided to share kits. Wow. You should have seen me puff up my attentively supervising feathers when that happened. I was the whip, I could do this! Yes I did! Of course the pink dye didn't turn out right because in my efforts to be efficient (somehow my efficiency always bites me in the ass) I added vinegar to that bowl when the package specifically states DO NOT ADD VINEGAR TO PINK TABLET. So I wasn't as attentive as I thought. At least I found out why to not add the vinegar to the pink tablet. You too can find out why by adding vinegar to your pink tablet! My lips are sealed about what happened, just note that the kids didn't think anything of it. They were just thrilled to have me ATTENTIVELY coloring eggs without having to raise my voice. I don't think I've had another day this successful since I discovered my current running shoes over 10 years ago, ah, I think Easter is my new favorite holiday.

No comments: